Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Back to Work

Sorry for the lack of posts recently… Since I have to return to work tomorrow morning, I have been trying to get a lot of tasks completed around the house that I had set out for myself. Using Grandpa Miller, we finished an 8x10 storage room in the garage. Abby wanted to come out with us at times, but with it being fairly chilly out the past week, we thought that it would be best for her to spend most of the time inside.
Thursday, Abby went with Maegan to see Dr. Dodson for her blood draw and a checkup and things went well. Luckily, the nurses at St. Francis talked with the nurses from Children’s Hospital and the blood draws have been much easier. They called a little later with Abby’s blood results, and Maegan tells me that they have dropped, but they are not in the “worry” area. I am going to have Maegan put a post-up that explains the blood work and what the doctors are looking for and what the numbers mean. She had Dr. Wong explain it to her in the beginning and I was wrestling with Emily, so I only caught a portion of the explanation. I believe Maegan will put something together tomorrow and we will post it then. But, for now… Abby’s blood counts are still okay, but they have dropped since last week. Luckily, we have not and hopefully will not need any transfusions or anything else, so keep the prayers coming!
Tomorrow, Maegan gets to wrestle with girls while taking Abby to her Speech therapy at 2pm. Luckily, Maegan’s parents will be able to pick up Mary-Beth from school. With my schedule the way we have it set up, I will be able to drop Mary-Beth off at school in the morning and then head into work. I’m going to feel it out tomorrow and see how much time I actually have to see if maybe I can get into the gym before I start work at 9am. The way my schedule will play out, I will be on a 6 days on, 2 off, then 4 on, 2 off. The technical problem we came across was the fact that every other Friday we have to go to St. Louis for an evaluation/pick up meds, and I HAVE to be there to get the medications. So, what we have figured out is that on Friday and Saturday, I will work a night shift, going in around 8pm till around 4am. This will help the platoons working the streets by having a traffic car to work any accidents and to also hunt for and assist on DWI enforcement. We will see how this schedule works, and if it needs to be tweaked, my bosses have said that they will work with me to get it so it works. Another problem my schedule will cover this way is the fact that the way it is set up now, I will be able to be home by around 7pm to get Abby her chemo. I thank God that my work is being as helpful as they can be during this time.
We have noticed that Abby’s appetite has dropped dramatically since being off of the chemo. Before, she would be a bottomless pit, whereas now, she will eat a small portion then say she’s full. She eats maybe four or five real small meals, but they told us that as long as she is eating at least 3 times a day, then we shouldn’t be worried. Her tastes are starting to change recently. Some food that she used to love she doesn’t like anymore. A big one is we would always get honey wheat bread for the girls, but now she will not eat it. She doesn’t like pizza rolls anymore, and applesauce. She is starting to slowly slim down some to her normal self again. It will take some time, but she is making great strides. Her energy level is getting better and so is her balance. Overall, we are still very happy with all of the improvements Abby makes and we still know that she will “kick this tumor’s butt!”

1 comment:

Lainy said...

Use that "PRINCESS POWER" to kick that tumor's butt Princess Abby!!! =)
Hugs, Princess Alaina

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.