Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Abby's Final Moment

Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:06am. That is the time that my little Abby received her angel wings and returned home to her Heavenly Father.


We woke up Sunday morning, and Abby had slept really well that night. Maegan came into the living room and came in and touched Abby’s arm to say good morning. When she touched her arm, Abby jumped. We think that Abby’s vision may have gone during the night. Abby calmed down when Maegan started to talk with her, but Maegan noticed that her coloring looked very pale. Abby then started to breath very roughly and loudly. Maegan then put the thermometer under Abby’s arm, and it shot up to 102 almost immediately. It finally stopped at 105.9, but her legs were cool to the touch. We gave Abby her medicine and then I picked her up and sat with her on my lap. I cradled her in my arms, and we sent Mary-Beth to go get Grandpa Miller so he could check on Abby’s condition. Abby sat in my lap, and looked up into my eyes. By this time, Abby began her “fish-breathing”, big gasps of breath. Maegan and I both looked her in the eyes and told her that it was okay to go. I told her that Heavenly Father and her brother Curtis would be coming shortly, and when they did that it was okay for her to go running to them. Abby looked deep into my eyes with her bright blue eyes, her eyes as clear as ever, and then her pupils got real large, and she looked up, and then she was gone.


We were very fortunate to have my parents down at the house when Abby passed on. They had just arrived and were getting ready to take Mary-Beth and Emily to church when everything started to happen. Right after I put Abby on my lap, Maegan’s parents arrived as well. So Abby was surrounded by love.


After Abby passed, her spirit stayed with us for around an hour. The living room was bright and cheerful, and you could almost see Abby with her long hair and twirly dress. The Hospice nurses were here and after a little while, asked if they could bathe Abby before the funeral home arrived. I then placed Abby on her bed and the nurses very gently bathed Abby. I noticed that they were so sweet with her, treating her so lovingly, even shedding some tears for her. When they were finished, I picked Abby back up and put her back on my lap. By this time, we could tell that she was enjoying her eternal reward, dancing with her brother and receiving her mansion above. We did ask Abby, before she passed, to make sure she paints us some rainbows and look after us, and to say hello from time to time.


I miss my Princess dearly. Maegan and I will do well for a while, and then something will spark a memory and we will lose it for a while.


Maegan and I went out on Monday and made the arrangements for Abby’s funeral and visitation. I never realized how expensive funerals are! Luckily, we have wonderful friends and family who have helped out with the expenses to lessen the financial burden.


I just pray that there will be a day when cancer, especially pediatric cancer, is eliminated from this world. I hope and pray that Abby’s memory will inspire and strengthen those who are fighting their battles as well.


Abby’s visitation will be on Wednesday, 7-27-11 from 4-8pm at Ford and Sons Funeral home on Mount Auburn, with her funeral on Thursday 7-28-11 at 11am. We will then take Abby to Memorial Park Cemetery where we will lay her physical body to rest. We actually set up three plots, one for me and Maegan, and then Abby and Curtis. Curtis will be brought up and laid to rest with Abby. Then, a long time from now, when Maegan and I return to our Father, our two children who moved forward before us will be surrounded by their loving parents forever.


We have told the girls that our prayers have been answered. It may not be the way that we hoped the answer would come, but Abby has beaten her tumor and is happy, healthy, and cancer free! I am so happy that Families Are Forever, and that Abby is now and forever my daughter, and Curtis is my son, forever. I thank God for the time that He allowed for us to be with Abby and look forward to many rainbows that Abby will paint for us. And I know, that I will forever be Abby’s Daddy, and Maegan is always Abby’s Mommy.


I hate cancer, especially childhood cancer.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

You both have been so generous in sharing your story through this whole horrible ordeal, and this entry is completely amazing. I could not have cried harder, felt sadder, happier, and so good all at the same time. Thank you for sharing this truly special, personal, and sacred experience with all of us. You are such amazing and wonderful people! Truly Abby's parents!:) And she is a reflection of you two. Amazing!

Rebecca said...

Saying that i'm so sorry seems so inadequate but.....it's just that no parent should ever have to outlive their child and no child should ever have to grow up without their parents. Lots of love and prayers for you and your family.

Miller Family said...

You don't know me, but I am Angela Polmateer's Sister-in-law. I've followed your blog and posts that Angela has put on Facebook. I am so sorry for your loss, and am so impressed by your faith! I have personally felt the loss of a loved one to brain cancer and can only imagine how it feels to lose a child to such a horrible thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I know Heavenly Father is with Abby. How special for Abby and for you all. Isn't it amazing that Families can be FOREVER!

Beth Colbert said...

Thoughts and prayers are with your family I personally don't know you and Maegan but our families have a long history dating back to Mary's parents who I know are taking good care of your children in heaven! Thoughts and prayers are with you all. Beth Henderson Colbert

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.