Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Movie Day

Abby continues to inspire me and make me a proud daddy! She is doing so well taking her medications and being a trooper about having to go to radiation early in the morning. Yes, she is a bear at times, but for everything that she is going through, her being a bear for an hour is not bad at all. I'm sure I act worse than that at times, so she is an inspiration to me!

Abby got her treatment this morning, and now that we are at the 7:00 am appointment time, we are in and out of the treatment center a lot faster! Its amazing how much just a 30 min change can get us back to Grandpa and Grandma's house about an hour earlier.

When we got home, Maegan went out with one of her good friends and a family friend from here, Emily Wood for an afternoon of manicures and pedicures. They deserve it. While they were out having their girly time, I took Abby and Emily to see Toy Story 3 at the theater. When we walked into the theater, we were the only ones there, and I told the girls that I had booked the entire theater just for us! They thought that was pretty cool, and I'm glad no one else came in to the show. We all enjoyed the movie, and Emily watched most of it, then towards the end started roaming around the theater. Since no one else was there, I let her roam and have fun. It was a good time and I love spending time with my girls!

We got home and we all took a good nap. Maegan got home shortly after we did, and she wrestled (literally I think) Emily into her nap, and I napped with Abby. Next thing I know, Abby is waking me up and it's 5:00 pm. We had taken a 2 hour nap. I didn't realize how tired I was. Abby and Emily are used to taking good naps like that, but not me. It was nice.

My parents then took us all out to eat at Bandanna's for some good BBQ. It was a good meal and our waiter, Bobby, went out of his way to make Abby and Emily feel good and smile. He found two bandannas, one red and one blue, that they had rolled up and inserted about a dozen small tootsie pops into, and gave one to Abby and Emily. You should have seen their eyes light up. Abby has been talking about wearing her bandanna like a cowboy ever since. Towards the end of the dinner, Bobby asked me if he could get Abby a brownie with ice cream on top. I knew Abby would love it, so of course. He brought that to her and she just beamed and loved every bite of it. Emily was so interested in her suckers that she did not even want a bite. Abby left Bandanna's talking about her new "great friend" Bobby, and how she wanted to come back there for her birthday dinner! What a girl!

We got back to the house and Abby tells me that she is hungry again. Since there was no way that she could be hungry after devouring her dinner and part of mine, I told her that she could have it after her treatment in the morning, so she seemed to accept that. Baths and then bedtime stories with Uncle Mike, and it was off to bed for the little ones.

So week 2 of radiation is coming to a close and Abby seems to be responding well. Her walking continues to improve and we think her speech is getting better as well. She does tell us that her right eye gets fuzzy at times, and if things are too loud or busy it gets hard for her to hear things. For all of the challenges that she has faced and is yet to face, she is definitely my hero!

We are looking forward to heading home for a long weekend tomorrow and seeing Mary-Beth. We love being able to stay here with my parents, but it is always nice to get home and to recharge the batteries for the upcoming week. Thanks again for all of the prayers from everyone and keep them coming!

No comments:

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.