Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor day weekend

What a great weekend! It was so nice spending an extra day with Mary-Beth at our house. Abby continues to amaze me at how well she is handling her treatments and her medicines. She is truly my inspiration and my hero.

We had a good drive up to my parents house, except for Emily making it known, very loudly, that she was ready to be out of the van. Then, we saw Lucky Charms flying all around, so we figured she was done with her cereal... The girls were excited to see their Grandma and Grandpa Jensen, as well as Uncle Mike again. Abby wanted to run to Grandpa, but held up a little bit and made it a quick walk, but I was impressed to say the least.

Abby woke up for her treatment very well this morning, and we had no problems getting to the hospital for treatment. But once again, as she wakes up from anesthesia, she turns into a monster that only wants her daddy! The nurses were not allowed to look at her again, and she only wanted to lay on my chest, so I let her.

We did find out thought, that on Friday night, my brother, Mike, had his car broken into while in the back of the house. Someone broke out the passenger side window and took everything that wasn't bolted down to the car. We usually park in the front on the curb, but we made sure that there is nothing of any value left in the car when we lock it up for the night. So Mike is out an I-Pod and an I-Pod touch, and a bunch of books, including his scriptures. Really! Who steals someone's scriptures and scripture case?

When Abby weighed in today, she came in at a whopping 60lbs! She is gaining weight during chemo and radiation. That is good though. We know that a lot of it is from the steroids, which they are slowly weening her off of. As of this week, instead of taking 2mL twice a day, she is at 2mL in the morning, and 1.5mL in the evening. If she continues to do well, for next week she will go down to 1.5mL twice a day and then continue until she is off completely.

Tonight, I will get on here and explain what we learned recently for her remaining medicine, as well as her maintenance period. Until then!

No comments:

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.