Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Busy Weekend

We had a great weekend. Abby finished week four of her radiation and only has 10 more treatments before she is done. We finished her treatments and then met with her doctors. They were very impressed with her progress and we found out that they will probably schedule the next MRI scan between 4-8 weeks after her last radiation treatment. The doctors told us not to be upset if the tumor hasn't shrunk any on the scan, and we told them that they shouldn't be surprised when they do the scan and the tumor is drastically shrunken or gone! We know that there are so many prayers being said for Abby and that angels are with her during this.

We then packed everyone into the van for the trip back home. We then all went and picked Mary-Beth up from school so that we could see her. Mary-Beth had a sleepover at one of her friends house that she was very excited about going to. We picked her up and spent some time with her and then took her to her friend's house. We then took Abigail and Emily to the SEMO District Fair.

When we got there the girls said that they wanted to ride a horse. The closest thing we could find was a camel so the girls rode the camel! It was so cute. Emily was sitting in the front, with Abby behind her, and half way around the circle Emily is holding onto the bar with one hand and covering her eyes with the other hand. Too funny!

We then walked around the fair some more and got Maegan her deep fried Snickers, the girls some cotton candy, and all sorts of fair food. As we were walking through, there were three little monkeys and Abby wanted her picture taken with a monkey. So they put the monkey on Abby's lap and she thought that it was the coolest thing ever. Emily didn't think it was as cool, and was climbing up my arm to get away at first, but towards the end gave the monkey some money and thought that it was pretty cool.

We also had another big deal this weekend. Abby has missed sleeping in her bed, which is the top bunk above Mary-Beth. She has been sleeping in our room at the foot of our bed in a pull-out bed since all of this has happened. Well, Saturday night, Abby climbed up the ladder (with only a little help from Daddy) and slept in her bed! We did have to put the monitor in there so that I could help her if she had to use the bathroom. She is getting better, but I don't want her trying to get down and fall off the ladder! So we instructed her to call out for Daddy anytime she needed to use the bathroom, which she did quite a bit. Sunday, we had a good day at church and then came home and packed up for another week of treatments in St Louis.

After treatment this morning, Abby only has nine more radiation treatments! She is excited to ring the bell at the end of it all! We are planning on having the family there for that moment, and will bring the video camera and will put that here on the blog. It will be such a good day and we are praying that she continues to do well. She is doing great is acting more like our Abby. She is playing with her sisters like she used to, even running after Emily trying to tickle her. She has been getting on the floor playing with her toys and is getting her attitude back as well. It is a joy to see her progress!

No comments:

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.