Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Second MRI Scan

Today was a day spent at the hospital all day. We started off heading out to the van to go to the hospital, and I noticed that the rear passenger tire was either flat or we had parked in a low spot on the grass. Since it was still dark out, I hoped that it was just a low spot and we pulled off. As soon as we started moving, I knew that we had a flat tire, so we pulled a U-ey and came back to my parents house. We then commandeered my dad's car and we were off again, determined not to have anymore bad news for the day.

Abby also wore her Snow White Halloween costume to the hospital today so she could show it off to everyone. She is super pretty and makes a great Snow White!

We then went to the oncology clinic and met with the doctors who examined Abby and was very impressed with her progress. We told Dr. Rueben that we were looking forward to picking him up off of the floor after Abby's scan. He told us not to expect too much from the MRI because the results do not always show themselves this soon. We again told him we would pick him up off of the floor when he sees her progress. All of the doctors and nurses were also very impressed with Abby's costume and she got a lot of compliments!

We took Abby down for her "sleepy milk" which she was anxiously wanting. She was very brave heading back to her scan but was upset that she had to take her costume off for her scan because the glitter may have interfered with the scan.

When Abby woke up, she was not as grumpy as she was during radiation which was a nice change. We took her up to Dr. Limbrick's office who is our Nuero-Surgeon to have a sneak peak at her scan. We made it up there and I knew it was good news by how Dr. Limbrick was smiling when he called us back to the computers. He then pulled up her prior scan from Aug 6, and then put it side by side to today's scan, and wow what a difference! On the picture, the scan on the right is the old and the one on the left is the new. In the middle, the entire pons section of the brain was a tumor area. On today's scan, there was less than 2/3 of the tumor remaining, and Dr. Limbrick was very impressed that the tumor had went down this much in 2 months! We told him they would be surprised!!

So we are on cloud nine!!! The power of prayer and blessings are working miracles on my precious Abigail and we thank God daily for His hand being on Abby blessing her! We ask for everyone to keep praying for Abby, because even though we cleared a major hurdle, the marathon is not over and we still need prayers!!

I was feeling so good when we got home, I did not mind having to take our rear tires from the van and replacing them and dropping a couple hundred dollars for the tires. I think it was the first time I've smiled when they gave me a large bill, but we were still floating!

Tomorrow, we return up to the clinic for a refill on Abby's medicines and then we will be heading home to be back with Mary-Beth, we always miss her when we have to spend a couple of days away from her.

1 comment:

Clair said...

My laptop has been down for a few days so I have not been able to visit the blog. Grandpa Jensen showed me a printout of the scan at church this morning and I couldn't believe it!!! What great news - I can't imagine what you must be feeling!!! Grandpa was soo happy to share the news and tears welled up in both of our eyes. I am so happy for Abby and all of you and continue to think of you in our prayers. Much love to you all - Clair Jordan

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.