Abby's Journey

We'd like to invite you to read Abby's Journey from the beginning. We hope that her story may help a family who is facing the same battle with DIPG. We are praying for a cure and are praying for every child who is diagnosed with cancer.

This is Abby's story.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Day One of Treatments

Today was Abby's first day of radiation after receiving the chemo for the first time last night.  I think the worst part was just waking her up early to get to the hospital at 7:30 am?  She can be the biggest bear in the world when she is awoken from her beauty sleep!  All she said on the drive to the hospital was "Grandma!".  Just imagine that for 30 minutes straight in the most whiniest voice!  I was starting to go nuts!

When we got to the hospital, she continued until about 5 minutes before we went back to her treatment, then she woke up and was in a great mood!

We then both got to go back with Abby since it was her first round of treatment.  I got to hold her while the anesthesiologist put in the knock out juice.  Talk about some potent stuff!  It looked like milk, but knocked her out quick!  He started putting the juice into her broviac tube, and then she yawned, and was out!  I then laid her down and we had to leave.  What a reality check!  Maegan and I both got a faceful of it!  We then went back to the waiting room, trying not to cry too much, but then we were greeted by a waiting room of sympathetic eyes and tears of people who had/are going through the same thing.  We know that we will get to know many people over the next six weeks.

A short time later, they came back and got us and said that she was done and starting to wake up.  She woke up in a good mood, and then crashed back into her bad mood again.  So we drove home and then she snuggled with Grandpa Jensen on the rocking chair for a while.  We then gave her the daily dose of her steroids, and she was asking for her "cherry" medicine, her chemo!  That's crazy that they can make the chemo taste good, but the steroids are nasty!  Maegan and I then took Abby back and laid her down for a nap, and decided that it was a good time to take one ourselves!

When we finally all woke up and got ourselves together, we made the journey home for a busy weekend. Saturday, my parents are coming down for the weekend and we are going to go to the Kars for Kids where they are going to give Abby a donation!! Then Sunday we have Abby's benefit dinner which will be awesome!

As we pulled up to the house we were shocked to see our awesome neighbor, Kim, finishing up mowing our grass, and that our friends, Lindsey and Dean, and a lot of the dads from Oak Ridge, had built and put up a wheelchair ramp to our deck and then up to the back door!  We truly have some amazing friends and family!  I'll put up some pictures of the ramp tomorrow and we are looking forward to what tomorrow has to bring!

No comments:

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.